SPJ-Madison Pro chapter is proud to announce the winners of the Region 6 Mark of Excellence Award. The Mark of Excellence Awards honor the best collegiate journalism in the U.S.
Awards were handed out at the Midwest Journalism Conference in Bloomington, MN on Friday, March 31. SPJ Region 6 includes Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. This year, the contest received more than 4,000 entries across SPJ’s 12 regions.
First-place regional winners will advance to the national round of judging. National winners will be announced in late April.
Among the winners from Wisconsin four-year universities were:
Best Student Magazine
• First Place: Curb Magazine, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Breaking News Photography
• First Place: Stabbings, arrest March 2011 block party – by Ben Pierson, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Non-Fiction Magazine Article
• First Place: Breathing new life into rural Wisconsin – by Valerie Klessig, University of Wisconsin-Madison
• Second Place: Finding independence in Green Bay – by Kayla Jensen, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper
• First Place: The Marquette Tribune, Marquette University
• Second Place: The Spectator, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Breaking News Reporting
• First Place: SA president resigns amid scandal – by John Parnon and Zach Brooke, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
• Second Place: UW students support, protest Hu Jintao visit – by Kathryn Weenig and Kayla Johnson, University of Wisconsin-Madison
• First Place: SA official admits to newspaper theft, implicates former President Kostal – by Steve Garrison and Zachary Brooke, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Best All-Around Television Newscast
• First Place: UWM PantherVision, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
For a complete list of the winners go to: http://spj.org/news.asp?ref=1107